One of the goals of a lot of people when it comes to education is to earn their PhD and earn the title of “doctor”. This goal, however, may not be for some people and for those individuals there is another degree called a DBA, or doctorate of business administration. The doctorate of business degree is one that is more alike with a PhD than it is different. Both show that you possess the skills and knowledge to be proficient in your industry, but just for different reasons. If you are someone that happens to not be an academic and no desire to prolong their educational career, than a DBA will certainly be for you.
There are many reasons why a DBA is more preferred for people who are not into academia than a PhD. The top 10 reasons why this is so are:
- A DBA requires less education than a PhD.
- You are able to start your career field faster with a DBA.
- People who are looking to move further up the business chain will fare better with a DBA.
- Your work experience will carry in a lot of businesses better as it shows you have a propensity for business-like situations.
- A stronger emphasis on business and skills that are relevant to your career path.
- It is still a doctorate in every sense of the word.
- You may be eligible to earn more money in a variety of different fields rather than just one.
- There is a high demand in particular industries for people with a DBA.
- More career opportunities open up to you.
- You may be able to earn more money depending on the company that hires you with a DBA over a PhD.
At the end of the day, it is certainly up to you what you choose and what you passionately want to pursue. A doctor in business administration is nothing to shrug at and is certainly just as qualified as someone who happens to have as PhD. Both show a willingness to learn and a knack for applying skills to any given job. A DBA degree will get your foot into any company looking for an executive and a DBA degree will also show you have what it takes to get the job done when the going gets tough. Do not fret if you feel you need a PhD to compete, as a doctorate of business is just as lucrative, important, and useful.